Welcome to my Programming Blog...

I am currently working on a couple of projects: An original game called "Implosion" which I am porting from Flash to the iPad, and a remake of Q*bert in Python (pygame), as part of the class I am teaching. Please feel free to use the "Labels" (at right) to follow a specific project or theme. If you are one of my Python students, I recommend that you check out the Python thread.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Getting started

This is the first post in a blog I am writing about the programming projects I am doing. My first goal right now is to port the "Implosion" game I wrote a few years ago in Flash over to the iPad. That's it, just a simple port, right?

Well, it's never that simple.

One of the things I am working on right now is learning OpenGL. Out of curiosity, I just went to Amazon and searched for "OpenGL for Dummies." This is what I got:

But not to worry. I found a good online tutorial by Jeff LeMarche about getting started with OpenGL for the iphone. I followed this for a while, but I eventually found a book (at an actual Borders store!) about a resource called SIO2, which works with Blender, and that is what I am pursuing at the moment.

When it works, it works quite well. The problem is, when it doesn't work, I am having a hard time telling why. I just get a black screen on the ipod simulator, which is disappointing and not too helpful. Just yesterday, though, I got a custom shape to appear on the screen, so I am feeling better about things!

Still, Blender has a large learning curve and I am just now getting started with SIO2. So while I am excited about my progress so far, I feel like there is a pretty large disconnect with the Implosion project. I may try to parallel-develop using the Quartz drawing tools, which I understand better, and then upgrade to OpenGL (which looks better) when I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment