Welcome to my Programming Blog...

I am currently working on a couple of projects: An original game called "Implosion" which I am porting from Flash to the iPad, and a remake of Q*bert in Python (pygame), as part of the class I am teaching. Please feel free to use the "Labels" (at right) to follow a specific project or theme. If you are one of my Python students, I recommend that you check out the Python thread.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

"My God, It's Full of...."

I've added two new features to the Implosion game. First, stars. When the player clears a level he or she earns a star - the purple stars appear under the game grid, and the player may collect quite a few of them. If the player has a star, he or she may use a three-finger swipe to use it - doing so lets them advance to the next selector. This is quite handy if the player is having trouble matching the current shape.

I had a little bit of trouble getting the star to show up. I am getting better at blender - I was able to make the star pretty easily, and got the vertices colored nicely. But no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to show up in the game. Then I realized that I had created the star in a backup copy of the implosion folder - so it wasn't associated with the current version of the game! Doh! This "encouraged" me to learn how to copy objects from one blender file to another. (Here's the online resource I found.)

The second thing I did was add an "on-deck" selector shape to the screen. This lets the player anticipate what is coming next, and make a better decision about whether to use a star. It took a pretty short amount of time to get it working, so that was nice. (Of course, that means there's probably a bug it it that I haven't noticed yet....)

Next up: It's time for me to get the timed obstacle chips up and running. These pieces can't be selected - after a while they "pop" and replace themselves with a random chip of the original four flavors. This is what the original purple ring chips are for, but I want to have a way to indicate the progress of the chip towards popping. Again, I'd like for it to be something that makes sense from any angle, and although I could do a radial effect like the timer, I think I would like it to look different. My current thought is of a "fan-shaped" obscuring object that disappears over time. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment