Welcome to my Programming Blog...

I am currently working on a couple of projects: An original game called "Implosion" which I am porting from Flash to the iPad, and a remake of Q*bert in Python (pygame), as part of the class I am teaching. Please feel free to use the "Labels" (at right) to follow a specific project or theme. If you are one of my Python students, I recommend that you check out the Python thread.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Completion and Frustration: Day 3 of iPhone Game Programming

We spent yesterday working on two things - adding and removing objects to and from the screen "on the fly" (instead of just when the game starts up) and then beginning a project by creating classes.
The first part of this took a bit longer than I had planned for - I meant it to take about 30 minutes, and it took 60 minutes. I'm glad we spent the time on it, though, for two reasons - one, it is an important skill to have, and I wanted everybody to feel like they had a handle on it, and two, because the second part was frustrating for a lot of people, and I'm glad it didn't drag on more than it did.
The second part of the class involved making a new project, importing graphics, creating classes to represent objects on the screen, and instantiating those objects. Basically, it was the next step in the learning process - instead of just copying what I was doing on screen, the students had to remember how to do stuff, and integrate what they had learned with a bit more independence.
It's hard to do - I am always tempted to reach in and "fix" everything for them, and sometimes I do. I think it was the right thing to do, but I don't want it to sap our momentum. Unless it needs to. I've worried (based on last year) that the class could become a grueling march of concepts without much chance for the students to innovate or practice on their own. So a pause in the "instructional" part of the class seemed like a good idea.
So what's coming up? Today, I plan on doing:

  • Layers
  • "SneakyInputs" - joysticks and buttons
  • a lesson on Spritesheets (a.k.a. Texture Atlases) by Matt
  • animation of sprites
  • and perhaps, in the case of the bullets, keeping a stash of bullets that are hidden when not in use.

I think we'll be using this project for a couple of days. I can see us working on collision detection, text fields and possibly particle effects!
Stuff I want to emphasize today - I hope I remember at the start of class:

  • Reading and commenting on each other's blogs
  • One class per type of object
  • The difference between sprites and things that hold sprites

No comments:

Post a Comment