Welcome to my Programming Blog...

I am currently working on a couple of projects: An original game called "Implosion" which I am porting from Flash to the iPad, and a remake of Q*bert in Python (pygame), as part of the class I am teaching. Please feel free to use the "Labels" (at right) to follow a specific project or theme. If you are one of my Python students, I recommend that you check out the Python thread.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Frame rate

Frame rate on the iPhone just reared it's ugly head. I wrote a function that would allow the user to change the opacity of a given layer of a TMX tile map, but that requires changing the opacity of each of the tiles (sprites) in the layer.
But once I did that, the frame rate dropped to something like 3 fps. So what I am finding I need to do is just change the tiles on the screen at the moment. That takes just 0.001 seconds, since I am updating 70 tiles instead of 2500. The problem is that now I need to update the opacity of tiles whenever I move new ones onto the screen. It'll be a hassle, but it should be much faster.
Anybody have a better idea?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


No comments:

Post a Comment